Monday, September 29, 2008

The Barf Days Are Gone

I am happy to report that Sunday brought an end to The Barf Days, thankfully, so, yes, you loyal and thoughtful readers can stop sending the emails of love and encouragement, although some flowers would be nice.

Sunday’s weather wasn’t that great but it was tolerable. I pulled myself out of my “We got our asses kicked by Ole Miss” funk and watched the rain-delayed first game of the day/night doubleheader against the Fucksox up in decaying and fetid Fenway Park. Mike Mussina won his 20th game of the season for the first time in his 18-year career. Way to go Moose. The night game was anti-climatic and the Yankees lost, making their season record 89 wins and 73 losses, the same as the Mets. In this game the Yankees once again failed to get key hits with runners in scoring position.

My show last night was an Off-Broadway drama, “Kindness,” written by Adam Rapp, whose brother was in the original cast of the recently closed “Rent.” In an earlier post I gave a synopsis of the plot. The show is very well written and very well acted and the sold-out house at Playwrights Horizon was really into it, as was I. After the show I spotted Andy Samberg from Saturday Night Live.

Today, Monday, started out with bright sunshine and few clouds. It is now mid-afternoon and it has gotten cloudy and gray again. I did most of my usual Monday chores, including my two trips to the ‘hood grocery stores. I am now set food-wise for the week.

Tonight I will see “Burn After Reading” at the ‘hood theater at 62nd and 1st. Looking forward to that.

The rest of the week is shaping up, as follows:

Tuesday - 7:00 “Young Frankenstein” - Broadway. I saw this Mel Brooks musical in its very last preview performance and enjoyed it a lot. When it appeared recently on TDF I thought that I would like to see it again, so I will. I kinda need to laugh. (discounted TDF ticket)

Wednesday - 7:30 New York Philharmonic Orchestra @ Avery Fisher Hall. The program is: Bach’s Brandenburg Concerto No. 5; Bernice Rands’ chains like the sea (yes, it is all in lower case and it is the world premiere of a work commissioned by the NY Phil - Oh, dear?); and, Tchaikovsky’s Suite No. 3. (series subscription)

Thursday - open at the moment.

Friday - 8:00 “Speed the Plow” - Broadway. “Two-time Emmy Award winner Jeremy Piven, three-time Tony Award nominee Raul Esparza and televisions hottest new star Elisabeth Moss star in Speed-The-Plow, the brand-new production of David Mamets outrageous take on sex and power in Hollywood. It is a behind the scenes story of handshaking, dealbreaking, backstabbing and moviemaking as only Pulitzer Prize winner David Mamet can tell it” This will be the second preview performance. (discounted TDF ticket).

Saturday - 8:00 “Boys Life” - Off-Broadway. “20 years after its acclaimed world premiere, Howard Korder's Boy's Life will receive its first major New York remounting. Originally produced in 1988, Boy's Life is a stinging and candid look at three college buddies making their way in the big city. As they maneuver between life and sex in New York, Korder lacerates the prolonged adolescence that often takes the place of modern manhood” In the cast is Jason Biggs of “American Pie” fame. (discounted TDF ticket).

Sunday - open at the moment.

Yep, I think the Barf Days are over.

Go Gators!!

Billi Pod.
wanjr@aol.com

No comments: