Saturday, November 5, 2011

Friday’s Doubleheader Was ... Interesting ... Yeah ...

Good morning everyone out there in the vast hinterlands.


It is a beautiful morning here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, but ... it is also the coldest day of the year so far ... 36º at 8:00am ... burrrrrrrrrr!!


I am happy to report that yesterday’s entertainment doubleheader was==>interesting.


The staged reading of A GOOD MAN was entertaining and well-performed. I am glad I had the opportunity to see it with my theater-buddy Dian Crystal and to get to meet her friend Marty.


After this performance I barely had time to catch a quick bite back at PHC before the 8:00 curtain for BURNING, playing at a theatre on my block.


OK, folks ... now some comments about the show ... First off, it isn’t a show for everyone and that is putting it mildly (actually there is nothing mild about any aspect of this show). It contains scenes and events that I have never seen onstage. There are graphic (and I mean graphic) gay and straight sexual scenes - almost everyone lets it all hang out.


The interwoven plots are interesting and the 13-person cast does a stellar job. I thought the staging was excellent. It is long at 2 hours and 30+ minutes, with an intermission.


When it was over I found myself thinking ... “self ... OMG WTF was that all about?” Now, in the name of fair and impartial reporting, I have to state that this morning I still have the same reaction about the show ... so ...


Billi Pod’s report card on BURNING is==>OMG WTF?


Should you see it? Yes ... I think so ... if ... and I do mean ... if ... you want to see something very very different.

Today the GATOR/VANDY game is on MSG @ noon. Late last night, on one of my ticket services, a show I really wanted to see came up for this afternoon. Damn!! My finger hovered over the select button for a long time but in the end being a mega-Gator won out. Billi Pod will stay in to watch the Homecoming game. Go Gators!! Kick Some Ass!!


Billi Pod’s entertainment event for tonight is ...


8:00==>GODSPELL - “A Broadway revival of the Tony-nominated timeless tale of friendship, loyalty, love and the greatest story ever told.” (Broadway - discounted TDF ticket)


This is one of the shows that I had scheduled for the time I ended up being down in Florida. Glad I could get another ticket. Most of my theater buddies have liked this production.


In the upcoming week I know that I will see both the new Ben Stiller movie, TOWER HEIST, and the third edition of the Harold & Kumar series, A VERY HAROLD & KUMAR 3D CHRISTMAS. Still haven’t seen MONEY BALL and I may sneak that in somewhere.


In closing ... we lost a national treasure yesterday when Andy Rooney died at the age of 92. He died only a month after delivering his 1,097th and final televised commentary on “60 Minutes.”


RIP Andy==>”60 Minutes” will never be the same without you.


GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-73

No comments: