Monday, November 28, 2011

Cyber Monday & Billi Pod’s Doubleheader

On this Cyber Monday Billi Pod wants to remind all of his Worker Bee friends out there in the vastness known as cyberspace that it is highly inappropriate to shift your focus from your menial jobs to the world wide web in an attempt to indulge in your shopping/spending fantasies.


Boys and girls, boy/girls and girl/boys and sexual-cyphers ... your responsibility is to work, giving 110% effort to your dead-end jobs. Nothing, repeat, nothing is allowed to interfere with your obligations to your employers and to your too often misunderstood bosses/supervisors.


Plus ... and you know this to be true ... most of you either don’t have the required credit/debit cards or you have already maxed-out your $250 credit limits.


I know this sounds harsh, but it is my responsibility, in the name of fair and unbiased reporting, to fulfill my responsibilities to maintaining the economy in this great country of ours, and in doing so, permitting we poor pensioners to eke out our existence(s) in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World.


And ... specifically... to ...

Worker Bee #1 - whose name rhymes with==>Peed - his job involves polishing celebrity shoes and serving coffee;


Worker Bee #2 - whose name rhymes with==>Beers - his job involves emptying colostomy bags and searching for lost keys;


Worker Bee #3 - whose name rhymes with==>Cypher - his job involves booking rooms at Motel 6 and forwarding mail; and,


Worker Bee #4 - whose name rhymes with==>Bris - who doesn’t live in NYC - his job involves collecting and packaging manure.


Just because you know Billi Pod does not, repeat, does not give you special privileges in The Worker Bee World ... so ... to you and everyone else out there ...


BACK TO WORK==>IT IS SO ORDERED.


Moving on ... like ... Billi Pod’s report cards on yesterday’s excellent doubleheader ...

MESSIAH: REFRESHED @ Avery Fisher Hall==>A<== a perfect way to start the holiday season.


The enhanced orchestration of Handel’s classic, supported by a full orchestra and a 175+ person chorus, filled the auditorium with gloriously beautiful sounds that transfixed the audience.


The performance, done with one intermission, clocked in a 2:45 but the time passed quickly.


Whenever I hear The Messiah I remember back to high school (Summerlin Institute in Bartow, FL) where I was a member of the Glee Club for 3 years. We performed The Messiah each season, but our version ended with the Hallelujah Chorus, omitting the final 4 numbers in the original format. I still like our format better, frankly.


When the show was over, as predicted, the weather was excellent, so I opted to walk back to PHC, a distance of a little over a mile. It felt great.


Had time for the usual fruit and cheese plate and then it was time to head out to The Playwright's Horizon (directly underneath PHC) for the second and final part of my doubleheader ...

MAPLE AND VINE, about a couple who exchange their modern lives for a controlled community (sect???) where everything, and I mean everything, is set in 1955.


The plot line in this show is difficult to describe and I think that is one of the reasons I left the theater when the show was over with very mixed feelings.


The concept is interesting, in that it shows how different the World was 56 years ago. It caused me to reflect on what was going on in my life in 1955 ... wow ... back then Billi Pod (not his name then) was married, with a daughter, stuck in a no-future job and contemplating enlisting in the Army (which he did).


I thought that the acting was stellar and the sets very impressive.


When the show was over I was confused about what the final message was, so I looked for my theater buddy, Marty, to get his thoughts, but ... alas ... he had fled the scene.


In my earlier FaceBook posting this morning I gave the show a B and I am going to stick with that even though I now know that Marty gives it a D-.


So, you loyal and faithful readers in the greater New York area ... give this show a shot and then let me know what you think.


Today, being Monday, will be Billi Pod’s errands and stuff day, including paying the first of the month bills. Barf!!

Then for tonight ...


8:00==>HORSEDREAMS - “Explores the breakdown of the family unit as a result of addiction. After his wife dies of an accidental overdose, Loman faces the harsh reality of raising their son alone.” (Off Broadway - complimentary ticket)


This is not one of my favorite themes, but ... I am seeing this show with my theater buddies Dian, Vera and Marty.


Let me close this posting on a positive note and that is ...


TIMMY DID IT AGAIN!!


Yes, he did it again, leading the Broncos to an overtime win over the Chargers. They are now 5-1 with Tebow as their starting QB.


Neigh-sayers be damned. Eventually you people will understand that this guy is a winner!


BELIEVE!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-96

No comments: