Sunday, October 25, 2009

Saturday = Blah!!

As the time drew nearer for me to head out to Yankee Stadium for Game 6 of the ALCS the weather got nastier and nastier but did this stop Billi Pod? You loyal and faithful readers know the answer to that question - “No, of course it didn’t” - even though it was raining pretty heavily in Midtown.


I dressed warmly and headed out at 6:45, after sending Grandson Topher a text message to check his email regarding his assignment to keep me up-to-date on the Gator/Mississippi State game, via texts.


I got pretty wet just walking the block and a half to the Port Authority to catch the uptown A train (an express). I get off at 145th Street, where I then transfer to the D train to 161st Street in The Bronx and Yankee Stadium. I made excellent time.


Got to the 161st Street station in The Bronx at 7:15. As the rather anxious and somber looking crowd was headed up and out of the station we were told by an MTA employee that the game had been postponed until tomorrow. I actually didn’t get out of the station but was told that it was really raining hard.


About all I could think of as I retraced my steps back to the platform was that if it had to be postponed I was glad “they” called it early-on rather than having us wait for a couple of hours and then calling it, as “they” are want to do.


Tomorrow is supposed to be a typical fall day and no rain is in the forecast. I will be there for the game.


It was about 8:15 when I got back to PHC where I immediately took off my wet clothes and turned on the TV to watch the rest of the Gator game.


I have to tell you that the game did absolutely nothing to bolster my spirits. Yes, I know that a win is a win and the Gators are now 7-0 but they didn’t look anything like what you expect from the Number 1 team in the country. And, Tebow’s 2 interceptions returned for TDs probably took him out of the running for another Heisman.


I don’t want to rant too much but it seems to me that the Gator offense lacks the killer mentality that last year’s team displayed. Oh, the defense is outstanding, Thank God, but the offense often seems to be almost sleepwalking. Hey Offense Guys - there is no such thing as “entitlement” in college football, you gotta earn everything in every game and if you don’t understand this, then some Podunk program like Mississippi State or South Carolina etc is gonna sneak up on you and shit all over your plans/dreams for another National Championship. Now, dammit, get with the program and play like mean angry Gators!! And, I/we mean it!!


Whew - I feel somewhat better.


Go Yankees and Go Gators!!


Billi Pod

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

No comments: