Saturday, September 15, 2012

Another Awesome Day With Polly Mounts


I am sooooooooo happy to report to you loyal and faithful readers that yesterday was yet another awesome day for Billi Pod here in The Big Apple, The Greatest City In The World, and it all revolved around having such fun with my dear friend Polly Mounts of West Palm Beach, FL.

So ... let’s get right to the details ...

At 10:00am I met up with Polly at her hotel, The Mariott Marquis, in Times Square, and we began the first of multiple walk and wander sessions. The weather was absolutely terrific.

First, I gave her a brief tour of my Hell’s Kitchen ‘hood, pointing out some of my favorite spots, etc. etc., then we came to my apartment, PHC, on the 41st floor of 420 W. 42nd Street.

The main features of my apartment are the incredible views from my living room and bedroom of Hell’s Kitchen and northward in Manhattan.

Polly was suitably impressed.

Then we headed out for our second walk and wander session. We leisurely walked south on 9th Avenue to the High Line entrance on 30th Street and 10th Avenue.

We walked the entire length of the High Line, stopping several times to admire the views, check out the flora and fauna, and just people watch. There were, of course, lots of tourists but no matter. It was a very pleasant walk.

At the last exit, on Gansevoort Street, we began our third walk and wander session and that was in the Chelsea area. We had lunch at a nice bistro, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Then, my loyal and faithful readers, Polly said she was up for yet another walk and wander session, so this time we took the subway up to 72nd Street for our fourth and final walk and wander session, this time in the Upper Westside.

I had Polly back at her hotel around 4:00 and I estimate she had done at least 6 miles. Not bad, not bad at all. I strongly suggested that she take the time to have a nice hot soaking bath for her legs. She said she would.

Came on back to the apartment and followed my own advice and took a nice hot bath for my legs. That was a good decision.

At 6:45 we again met up at Polly’s hotel to begin our evening’s entertainment event and that was the staged reading of a new play written by our friend Dick Brukenfeld, who lives in Dobbs Ferry.

The reading was in a rehearsal space at the Manhattan Theater Club facility located on the 8th floor of 311 W. 43rd Street. The complex itself is very impressive.

The reading was an invitation-only event and I would guess there were about 25 people in attendance.

The play is a drama called BLIND ANGELS and is about a journalist who learns that one of his best friends is involved in a planned terrorist attack in NYC. It is done in 2 acts.

Both Polly and I found the work to be well written and extremely thought-provoking. Hopefully the developmental process will continue and it will ultimately be performed in a theater here in the City.

When the reading was finished there was a “talk-back” session with wine and cheese, giving the audience an opportunity to interact with the cast and creative team in an informal atmosphere.

When that was finished Polly and I joined Dick and his wife Mimi as the cleanup crew. When those chores were done it was time for our late-night dinner plans.

We went to my favorite Theater District restaurant, Angus McIndoe, and had a great time. 

The food was excellent, but the most important thing was having the opportunity to talk with Dick about the inner workings of his play and to share with him his euphoric feeling over what had just happened. 

So==>thank you Dick for inviting us to the reading and best of luck for the future of your creation.

It was midnight when I opened the door to PHC. I checked the daily mileage on my Pedometer and it was ... OMFG==>9.54 miles. Now that in and of itself is AWESOME!!

Another good aspect of the reading and dinner was that I didn’t have to get involved in the Wankies/Rays ball game out at Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built. All I could do was periodically check on the status of the game on my iPhone ESPN app.

The Wankies lost to the Rays 6-4 based on another weak outing from our “ace” CC Sabathia, who has been anything but “ace-like” in his last 4 starts. Luckily for us the Orioles also lost so we remain tied for the lead in the AL East.

And this leads me to today’s entertainment event ...

4:05==>YANKEES/RAYS @ Yankee Stadium, The House That Greed And Ego Built.

This is the second game of the 3-game series and it will be Ivan Nova (11-7) on the mound for the Wankies vs. James Shields (14-8) for the Rays.

The weather is beautiful so my plans are to head out to the stadium at 2:00pm and do another walk and wander session in ‘da Bronx.

Also tonight at 6:00pm it will be FLORIDA vs. TENNESSEE at Neyland Stadium, carried on ESPN.

We have virtually owned The Vols over the recent years so it will be interesting to see if coach Muskrat can add to the history.

Polly will see two shows today and will also have dinner again with Dick and Mimi Brukenfeld, I think back at Angus. Unfortunately I will still be at the stadium. Have fun guys!!

On a sad note==>today marks two years since I lost my dear friend, colleague and fraternity brother J. Papa Hall. 

Please check out my thoughts and comments from the posting back in 2010


My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, especially his companion Vivian Fiesta Garfein.

Yesterday’s Pedometer mileage==>9.54 miles (or, 28,856 steps)

Total mileage since 7/1/12==>383.32 

Mileage remaining until 4/23/13==>695.68

GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!

Billi Pod
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”



No comments: