Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Tuesday Was A Strange/Different/Unusual Day

Let me begin this posting by again apologizing to you loyal and faithful readers on Billi Pod’s email list who were bombarded by spam yesterday from my AOL account.


I really don’t know how that came about because a scan of my hard-drive by my antivirus program shows nothing ... nada ... When I contacted AOL (not a fun process) they suggested I change my password and not put it in my computer key chain ... and I have done that ...


So ... again ... sorry about that. It is just as frustrating for me as I know it is for you.


Anyway ... yesterday was a strange and unusual day that can be summarized as:


“Got hacked, finished all of my Christmas shopping, dentist appointment, runny nose, and awesome concert.”


You already know about the got hacked bit ... so let’s move on to ...


Yep, on the way over to my dentist’s office on the Eastside I was able to get the final two items on my Christmas gift-list. Awesome!!


My dentist had worked me in for a 5:00pm appointment to re-cement a loose crown and address some other issues. He gave me a hard time about failing to schedule the semiannual cleaning session (it had been a year, my bad), so he personally made the appointment for early, like 8:00am, next Wednesday, for a 2-hour session. I just may have to be shipped down to Columbia for Christmas in a body bag.


It was about 6:15 when I left his office with instructions not to eat anything for 2 hours. Oh well ... and ... my nose had begun to run ... damn. Took the subways up to Lincoln Center for my entertainment event, which was ...


7:30==>NEW YORK PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA @ Avery Fisher Hall - “Handel’s ‘Messiah’ performed with the Westminster Symphonic Chorus.”


Billi Pod’s report card==>A+<==it just doesn’t get any better than this. The soloists were uniformly excellent as was The Westminster Chorus.


This was part of my subscription series so I had a good seat. Speaking of seats, I was appalled at how many empty seats there were in Avery Fisher Hall for what is considered to be one of the highlights of the season for The Philharmonic. There wasn’t a weather issue either, so that made it even more mystifying. I guess it is just another indication that the economy still basically sucks.


The performance was almost 2:30, with intermission, meaning it was 10:30 when I got back to PHC, and I was starving, to put it mildly. Had a slice of pizza, some turkey meatballs, a handful of red grapes for dessert, and all was well again in Billi Pod’s world.


When I woke up this morning at the usual 8:00am I have to admit feeling just a bit blah. Fortunately the weather is clear but it is cold. Nose is still runny. And, of course ...

Today will be another entertainment doubleheader for Billi Pod ...


3:00==>BURLY-Q! A Gay Burlesque - “In the time-honored tradition of ‘When Pigs Fly’ and ‘Hellzapoppin,’ BURLY-Q! pays tribute to the best of burlesque comedy - with a decided twist!” (Off Broadway - free ticket)


Yeah, I know ... but it sounded interesting at the time I booked it.


It is playing down in The Village at The Players Theatre on MacDougal Street, not one of my favorite venues.


Then for tonight is something very special ...

8:00==>FOLLIES - “A revival of the 1971 Stephen Sondheim musical, now starring Bernadette Peters and Elaine Paige. A group of former ‘Follies’ stars return to the site of their former glory, the Weismann Theatre, which is about to be demolished. Old wounds resurface as two Follies stars and their husbands reassess their lives and what could have been.” (Broadway - discounted TDF ticket).


This show has received generally very favorable reviews and its limited run will close on January 22, 2012, so I am glad I was able to score a discounted ticket for it.


In the name of fair and unbiased reporting Billi Pod has to admit that even though he is a mega-theater nut and lover of musicals==>he has NEVER seen FOLLIES. Yep ... never ... yeah, I know ... anyway ...

Folks ... I think this headline in today’s NY Post pretty much sums up what is happening in the Republican party ...


“WHY RIGHTY ELITE CAN’T STOP NEWTZILLA.”


NEWTZILLA==>Love it!!


GO YANKEES AND GO GATORS!!


Billi Pod

“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

ALEX-112

No comments: