Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tuesday - Billi Pod Is Alive And Well In The Big Apple.

I know that it has been a long time since I posted to this blog and I do appreciate the emails and telephone calls from you, my loyal and faithful readers, about what is going on in my life.

Why haven’t I posted? Well, the simple truth is - I have had a lot of “stuff” going on, mostly in my head, and I just haven’t felt like writing about it until I sorted through most of it and made some tentative decisions. Rest assured - it has nothing to do with either my physical or mental health, that I promise you.

OK - this is it - I have decided not to renew my lease on my alcove studio. My lease is up on July 31st and I have been here for 8 years. Before moving to 51st Street I was in a studio (known as the “dorm room”) on the 4th floor of a walkup building on 53rd Street, for 2 years. This means I have been in a studio apartment for the last 10 years.

I love the location of my current apartment, the building and the staff. The apartment itself is in need of some major upgrading, which will be a huge pain in the ass for whoever is occupying it.

The main reason for making a change, however, is my determination that I am no longer in NYC on “vacation.” I admitted to myself that I am a full-time resident of the Big Apple and as a resident I need more space. I have grown tired of living in a motel room/suite. I also acknowledged to myself that I really want to stay in NYC for the remainder of my life, however long (or short) that may be.

So, I have been 1 BR apartment hunting and have pretty much narrowed down my choices to: apartments in a new high-rise building located on West 42nd Street, in the heart of the theater district, or a Senior facility known as The Williams Memorial Residence, located at the corner of West 95th Street and West End Avenue and run by the Salvation Army. No 1 BR’s are available in my current building.

OK - stop it - take a deep breath and go to the website: www.salvationarmy-newyork.org/housing/williams

I am considering a very nice and large 1 BR located on the 15th floor, the top floor. The rent includes: 2 meals a day (required); all utilities; weekly maid service; security; and, many in-house activities.

I have been approved by this facility, having passed the examination by the Admission’s Committee and passed the physical exam requirements. This coming Friday through Monday morning I will be staying there as part of what is called “an introductory visit.” This will be in one of their guest rooms and will include 3 meals a day.

I think I need to emphasize - this is not, repeat NOT, a nursing home. It is a well-maintained facility directed at healthy and financially secure seniors who are at least 50 years old.

Yes, I know this would be a MAJOR lifestyle change but it is what I am considering under circumstances where I will be making the final decision, not someone else (read between the lines). Luckily I have some time before I have to make my final decision(s). However, next week I am going to notify my landlord that I will not be renewing my lease.

Now, on to other stuff, briefly. Of course, I have been going and doing lots of things. So far the highlight for this month was a wonderful Easter Dinner Sunday with my theater buddies Michael Pederson and Dennis Dohman, and some of their longtime friends, at M & D’s apartment in Chelsea. Thank you guys!!
Today I will see a taping of The Colbert Report. I am really pumped over this. I have to be at the studio not later than 5:15. To be safe I plan to get there around 4:30 because it is still on a first-come-first-served basis even though I have a "reservation."

Thursday afternoon is the Opening Day at the new Yankee Stadium - awesome!! I will take lots of pics and will post some of them here.

In closing - on Wednesday, April 22 I will leave JFK to fly to Paris to spend 8 days with my former law school roommate David West, in his new apartment across the Seine from The Louvre - awesome, again!! My 75th birthday (damn and double damn - I hate being old) is on the 23rd.

When I return I will make the final decision(s) about where Billi Pod’s next pad will be.

Go Yankees!!

Billi Pod

No comments: